‘Kool Haus’; from maisonette to masterpiece…the architectural triumph that took Woodville South to a place unseen.
From the street, the tip of a soaring skillion roof gives only a hint of what’s to come…
Welcome to ‘Kool Haus’; the story of a humble maisonette that would suddenly rise to the heavens, courageously push the architectural boundaries on a compact site, play its passive part in sustainability, make a splash in summer, and take Woodville South to a stylish, edgy place it’s simply never been before.
With a growing family in tow and not enough space, the current owners could have easily just packed up and left behind a 1950s two-bedroom home of strong bones and prime position overlooking Woodville Oval.
Instead, they called on local architect Sally Wilson and builder Craig Berryman in a collaboration that was meant to be – together, in 2015, arriving at an energy efficient nexus of then and now.
The ‘now’ being a practical, and equally captivating, extension that makes the most of a northern orientation, spills from open-plan living to solar heated pool, strikes an eclectic industrial vibe, and cleverly conceals a parent’s retreat.
An exposed brick wall and a study nook signal the transition from renovated maisonette to an addition framed in burnished concrete floors and due-north-facing glazed openings that end where the cantilevered roof begins and the hot summer sun is omitted.
If there is one thing to showcase the owner’s conspicuous sense of style, then look no further than the central kitchen with dashes of stainless steel and marine ply, a thick concrete slab benchtop/island propped up by breeze blocks, and a hidden butler’s bar.
With its own sense of anonymity, the master retreat waits behind a cavity sliding door to reveal its floating storage, walk-in robe, and an ensuite that combines the curves of its mirror and penny round tiles with a vanity steeped in a funky patterned shade of green. ‘Kool’ is an understatement.
You knew there was something special behind the brick maisonette. But it’s even better than you imagined. Welcome home.
And it just gets better and better:
– Double sink, breakfast bar, gas cooktop and dishwasher to kitchen
– Flexible layout – the kids can claim the original section boasting two bedrooms, lounge room and bathroom
– In-built sound system and LED down lighting
– Upgraded original bathroom with terrazzo floor
– Architectural doors, including large timber pivot door to entry
– Efficient split R/C and combustion fireplace
– Custom joinery, including study nook, bench seating and floating storage
– Glass balustrading to solar heated, fully tiled pool
– Easy-care gardens with automatic watering system
– Under-floor heating to all bathrooms
– Built-in robes to bedrooms 2 and 3
– Louvre windows and large sliding doors open to send a cooling breeze through the extension
– Just moments from Woodville Primary School
– Close to public transport on Port Road and just a 7-minute drive from the Adelaide Entertainment Centre
– And much, much more.
CT / 5375/446
Council / City of Charles Sturt
Zoning / R’16
Built / 1946
Land / 413m2
Council Rates / $1135.55pa
SA Water / $178.17pq
ES Levy / $121.85pa
All information provided has been obtained from sources we believe to be accurate, however, we cannot guarantee the information is accurate and we accept no liability for any errors or omissions (including but not limited to a property’s land size, floor plans and size, building age and condition) Interested parties should make their own enquiries and obtain their own legal advice. Should this property be scheduled for auction, the Vendor’s Statement may be inspected at any Harris Real Estate office for 3 consecutive business days immediately preceding the auction and at the auction for 30 minutes before it starts.